Tuesday, July 2, 2013

"HOA's and You"

Brevard County - Florida

HOA's and You - Part 1

This week we will be going in-depth on how to obtain a copy of your
HOA Records and/or updates.

How do I obtain a copy of my HOA records?

A good place to start is to make a request in writing to your HOA. Your association by law must provide official records to you within 10 days of request.

How will I know that my association received my request?

You may want to request via certified mail or return receipt email.

How much will it cost me to obtain a copy of the records?

There are a few different ways and costs to obtain HOA records. Records can be made available electronically. The simple form would be an emailed sent to you by your association or your HOA may have an Internet page that allows you to download or print a copy (this is free of charge).

What if I do not have internet capability and would like to request a hard copy?

You may obtain the records in person and also a hard copy all records must be made available for inspection within 45 miles of your home county.

What if I do not have a camera or scanner capability is there a charge for hard copies?

Find out in which way your HOA makes makes hard copies. There are several options, including:

- An outside duplicating service
- Vendor or association management company
- HOA personnel using their copy machine

Always ask for the total cost upfront if you are requesting a hard copy.

If Associations are making inhouse copies on their own copy machine and it takes longer then 1/2 hour to make copies and there are more than 25 pages of records, their charge cannot exceed the maximum allowable by law of $0.25 cents per page and not more than $20 an hour for administrative charges.
In all the above cases a receipt must also be provided to you when you pick up your copies.

What if I have a copy of my HOA records but do not have any updated amendments?

When you make your request, Remember to ask for any and all  updates and amendments.

30 days after anHOA recording of an amendment to the governing documents, the association must provide copies of the amendment to their members.

Brevard Times : Please look for our column next week for "HOA's and You " Part 2

: Laureen Trent , Trent Realty
 The Trent Family has been serving Brevard County since 1989    
  based in Indian Harbour Beach, Florida. 
 [email protected]  321-288-0912
 Trent Realty, Inc. operates as a subsidiary of Graham Theodor & Co. Ltd.

No comments:

Post a Comment